Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Caught Being Kind

Are you looking for a way to get your kids to do their chores, comb their hair, and be kind to each other during the long summer months? Look no further. . .

1. Make some CBK cards.

CBK stands for Caught Being Kind. I printed these in gold. They can be laminated to make them sturdier, or just use cardstock. Or just call it what you want!




2. Make some pockets.

I used this template to make them. http://creaturecomfortsblog.com/home/2008/8/5/its-freebie-time.html
Then, the kids decorated them.




3. Make lists of what you want your kids to do. 

Post the lists and tell the kids they can earn a CBK if they finish these lists with a good attitude in a timely manner. I made a hygiene list, a learning list and a chore list. For every list that they finish before 10 am, they get a CBK and they place them in their pockets.

4. Start trying to catch your children being kind.

And then start handing out the CBK's. I wouldn't do it too frequently. Maybe just focus on a few behaviors you'd like to shape.

5. Now comes the fun part. Decide on some things your children want. 

For us, it is computer time. The kids can purchase computer time using the CBK's. Each CBK is worth 15 minutes of computer/Wii/iPad games. (I do limit how many CBK's they can use a day) I've also told them they can use them to go out for ice cream (although I haven't decided how many CBK's this will cost them yet).

6. Sit back and watch your children fulfill their requirements. 

My daughter who hates to brush her hair has stopped complaining about it and just does it. My other daughter who always whines about picking up her room, cleaned the entire room the first morning. (And she got an extra CBK for doing so!) This morning, before having guests over, my kids all helped to clean our home without whining or complaining. Yesterday, after getting groceries, they all helped bring in the groceries. All in hopes that they might, just might, get a CBK. In short, my children are no longer going out in their pajamas with bedhead hair. Nor are they complaining about every little thing I ask them to do. They aren't perfect, but I feel in control!! 

Of course, we only started 2 days ago. :)


PS. I want to give credit to this website (http://www.ateenytinyteacher.com/2012/07/i-dont-use-clip-chart-please-dont-throw.html) and my facebook friends, for getting me thinking in this direction.






No comments:

Post a Comment